Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Natural First Aid



Let's talk a bit about First Aid and the oils.  

 Let me warn you, there are some graphic pictures of my finger in this blog as well.  

About a week before I went to convention, I was trying to get some yardwork done.  It wasn't oppressively hot out and the shrubs needed trimming, weeds needed pulling, we needed to mulch the flower beds.  You get the picture.  I was on my last set of shrubs of the day with a our handy electric hedge trimmer.  


I cannot say if I was rushing or tired or just plain careless but I can say I got my finger with that power tool.  It stunned me for a second.  I felt dumb then it hurt.  The pain and the blood kicked into high gear as I ran into the house while the rest of my family was finishing up lunch.

Keeping my head in the game, I told my husband to grab Helichrysum and fast!  It is known as "the liquid bandaid" of oils.  I hovered over the sink washing off the finger complete with dirt and mulch.  I was pretty grossed out.  Blood is really not my thing.

The damage to my finger was signifcant but could have been much worse.  All things were attached thank heavens.

My husband handled everything calmly even as the kids were crying "why is Mommy crying and hurt?"  It was a rough few minutes.

Luckily for us, a friend was already on her way to pick up some items.  As she walked in the house, she was stunned at the chaos but put me in her car and off to Urgent Care we went.

Mind you, the bleeding was almost stopped.  As I got back to the nurses, the bleeding began again as the pulled the bandaging off.  My husband was complimented on his excellent First Aid.  The biggest question they had was, "why aren't you bleeding more?"  I replied, Helichyrsum.  It just worked.

With the finger cleaned up, I took a few pictures......



The nurses were kind, glued me back together and wrapped me back up.  I was off to travel west in just a few days.  It was sore and hurt to bump anything.  It was also swollen for a few days.

To help the soreness and swelling, I used Deep Blue.  

For the healing process, I chose to use my oils.  Although, I could not access the actual wound for many days, I applied Frankincense and Helichyrsum at the base of my finger three times a day.  Then I arrived at doTERRA's Aspire Convention where they announced a little product with a huge punch called CorrectX.  It packs all the heavy hitter oils like Frank, Helichrysum, Cedarwood and Lavender in a nice little ointment.  Perfect!

I even won this from Mark Wolfert!  Yeah me!!


Once the bandages came off, I started coating the wound.  It kept my skin moist but really helped speed the healing in my opinion.  I still have ant bites on my foot from June that haven't gone away!  

After a week and a half it looked like this.....the black is a where the glue caused my hand to bleed until the Dermabond sealed it up.  What a weird feeling!


About 2 full weeks later


3 weeks


And now....just about completely healed.  There is still nerve sensitivity on the pad of my fingertip so typing is not always fun but my nail bed is in good shape and really the shape of my finger is not terrible like they warned.  I am extremely pleased with my healing.



If I stress one thing with this blog no matter if you are an oil user or not, have some sort of First Aid kit in your home.  Accidents can happen anytime.  In the middle of one is not the time to wish you had some way to treat your friends or family.  I was extremely lucky to not really do some major damage to my hand.  I do highly suggest using a natural approach!  

Be safe!  Take your time with yard work!  



No comments:

Post a Comment