Tuesday, February 4, 2014

You Are What You Eat….Choose Wisely

As I browse through the selections on Netflix, I came across the documentaries section.  I was very intrigued.  If I had been at your standard video store, I seriously doubt I would have even noticed they had that section.  But I started to look and see what was offered.

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead was a choice.  I  decided to see what that was about.  After all, I am really trying to get myself into a healthier routine using more natural methods.


Joe Cross documents his journey from being overweight and on multiple medications to help with a autoimmune skin condition to healthy and medication free.  The problem…he was fat and the drugs weren't working.  So he started juicing.  My first thought was…"man he had to be hungry and he did this for how long?!"  Seems weird when you hear it but I kept watching.

I am hypothyroid.  I have struggled with controlling my weight and have been griped at by doctors for years.  Finally, four years ago, I found a doctor who finally agreed that I was hypothyroid and actually prescribed Synthroid for me.  I soon was pregnant with baby number 2 and that pregnancy was by far different than the first.  My baby was much bigger and healthier.  To this day, she rarely gets sick.  Her older sister, constantly fighting colds or runny noses.

After baby #2, I went on a major diet and successfully lost 40 lbs.  My thyroid was working.  I was succeeding at weight loss and I felt great.  Then, my thyroid stopped working as well and my weight loss came to a screaching halt.

Despite my TSH levels changing, my doctor became reluctant to change my dose.  After three tests showing my TSH going from .9 to 1.8 to 2.3 in a manner of a couple months, she finally agreed.  I felt much much better.  Then came baby #3.

Fast forward to today.  My TSH levels are trending out of normal again and I am getting lots of pushback on a dosage adjustment.  Want to know normal levels….click here!    I am getting lots of griping on losing weight.  I was even given a diet plan by the doctor which shocked me.  It was filled with horrible processed food choices.  Too much salt, too much white flour and hidden sugar.  I eat healthier options than this plan suggested.  My portions are in check.  I am moving…..remember 10,000 steps a day? 

So I am frustrated.  I watch this documentary and start thinking…..why not try it or something similar?

My husband said, "I will do it with you.  Maybe it will help my skin issues."

DING DING DING…folks we have a winner!

We plan to do a full 3 day juice fast next week.  We may do a 5 but we will see after three how we feel.  This week we are kind of priming our systems with 1-2 protein shake/green smoothies per day.  Some people could just wake up and start but we have kids and don't have the ability to spend a day in bed if day 2 or 3 is a full on feel lousy detox kind of day.  

So what have we been drinking?  doTERRA Trim shakes and lots of fruits and veggies.

Here are some of the "recipes" we throw in our Vitamix:

 Peaches & Cream Plus…all made for 2 people or 2 shakes so half all this for one shake.

4 scoops of Vanilla Trim Shake
Large handful of Spinach or any dark leafy green
3 Strawberries
1 avocado
1/2 cucumber
2 stalks celery
1 1/2 cup of Frozen peaches
1 1/2 cup of Almond Milk - Vanilla
Splash of OJ and Water.

Blend all the fruits and veggies first with the OJ/Water.
Add the protien powder and Almond milk.

Blend well
Drink it cold!



Berries & Chocolate….again made for 2 people or 2 shakes so half all this for one shake.

4 scoops of Chocolate Trim Shake
Large handful of Spinach or any dark leafy green
2 medium carrots
1 small beet
1 1/2 cup of frozen Mixed Berries
1 1/2 cup of Almond Milk - Vanilla
Splash of water

Blend all the fruits and veggies first with the water.
Add the protien powder and Almond milk.

Blend well
Drink it cold!


Really the possibilities are endless so go with what you like!  Don't worry, most greens don't give flavor to the shake especially when something like berries or peaches are involved.  Just make sure your blender can really puree the fruits and veggies.

I have been surprised at how full I am staying.  The days I had one for breakfast and one for lunch, I was sure I would be starving by dinner.  I had a light snack between lunch and dinner…a piece of fruit and cheese and was not ravenous.  I ate my portion controlled dinner and didn't want seconds.

One key to this is to drink lots and lots of water as well.  That is no problem here since I have always been a big water drinker.  Water is very important though.

So back to the doctor……she reccommended I take Metamucil and Colace.  I opted for these smoothies.  My theory, more nutrients, better results.  Unfortunately, I was given a bit of a hard time by her nurse that food was not going to solve my problems.  Interesting huh?

I remember as a kid being told by doctors…"you are what you eat."  When did the medical field's philosophy change?  Now, I will talk to the actual doctor and see what she says but I was amazed at her nurse's attitude towards improving your diet.











No comments:

Post a Comment