Monday, September 23, 2013

Operation....not really fun and games!

Last Thursday I went under the knife.  I am going to be perfectly honest and say it just sucked!  I am not the best patient.  I try very hard to remain calm and cool but really I am just big ball of nerves inside.  The internal voice that has helped protect me from harm and dismay in my "real job" kicks in high gear.  Let's just say, it isn't good.



So hernia surgery.  Umbilical hernia.  Thank you pregnancy.  I love my children with all my heart but a woman's body takes a huge hit through it all.  Luckily, mine was small but causing me some significant pain.  See my blog "It's the Bomb Baby" for more on the pain.

Prior to surgery it was recommended to me to stop using  my Long Life Vitality (LLV) pack and limit the use of Deep Blue.   LLV really helps your body regenerate cells so during a surgical procedure it can cause your blood to flow a bit more than you want.  Deep Blue is a blend of oils that help to with pain.  It works great but it has Wintergreen in the blend.  Wintergreen is amazing but can cause the blood to thin a bit.  

     


So for a week prior to surgery, none of the good stuff.  I will tell you, I felt the difference.  My energy levels went way down, my level on concentration suffered, and I got a bit of a cold.  Then top that with, no pain control for the stupid hernia.  Yes, it is stupid!!!



Surgery day arrived.  I was nervous.  I knew I couldn't use a ton of oils but I knew that had a couple options that no one would say anything about.  Lavender was the perfume of the day.  I needed to calm down.  I added a couple drops of Citrus Bliss because it just makes me happy. Finally, a drop of Balance down my neck. 

Surgery went well and we headed home that afternoon.  

The IV usually results in a HUGE bruise for me.  After gall bladder surgery, they missed on a couple attempts and I had 3 large bruises for over a month.  I had a great nurse this time but even great nurses leave me with a big bruise.  When I got home,  I used the Deep Blue around the area.  No bruise!  See for yourself.  



Now pain management......the doctor gave me great drugs.  Not gonna lie.  Of course, with the great pain control, you lose most of your other bodily control.  Percocet knocks me out.  COLD.  Day 1, I was OK since I was still under the influence of the anesthesia.  Day 2, I was ready to be a bit more awake.  My 4 year old was ready for me to be more awake.  But I couldn't beat the drugs and keep my eyes open.  There is no driving or operating heavy machinery when on the either.  Knowing I had to go to work meant not using them by Monday morning.  

Hello Frank & Marj! We meet again.   6 drops each of Marjoram and Frank in a veggie cap.  I took it every 3 to 4 hours as I needed to help me feel less pain.  

Today, that is all I have needed.  It has kept the soreness down and I have stayed "with it".  Love that.

On my incision, I applied a couple of things.  Helichrysum, Frank and Deep Blue.  Helichrysum acts like natural liquid bandaid.  Frank well is Frank....good for everything.  Both will help with reducing the scar tissue.   Deep Blue again was added for bruising and soreness.  My incision is looking pretty good for an incision.




Finally, I have taken On Guard both internally, around my incision and on my feet twice a day.  I was still run down and surgery always puts you at a big disadvantage to fight off germs.  I am giving my body everything I can to fight.  Rest, fluids and On Guard!



Am I sore 4 days post op?  Yep.  Will tomorrow better?  Yep.  Do I believe that using my oils have helped me recover faster?  Yep.  Mostly, because I was asked about a dozen times today "why are you at work?"   Now here is to another week and a half of "don't pick up anything over 10 lbs."  Do I really need to weigh my purse?  







No comments:

Post a Comment