Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Freezing, Fatigued,Fat and Frustrated!



Do those four words describe you most of the time?  For over 10 years, it was exactly how I would have described myself.  While everyone else in the room was comfortable or even warm, I was wishing I had a giant quilt covering me.

Despite, my layers of fat covering me, I could never keep warm.  

Of course those layers of fat would not budge even with a disciplined diet and exercise program.  Everyone was doing the Atkin's Diet and dropping 20-30 pounds…and cheating.  I was strict and dropped 7 lbs in a year.  Completely unfair.

The culprit?  My thyroid.  I had long suspected my thyroid was not running at optimal levels but doctor after doctor tested me and I was "normal".  I would hear from these professionals all sorts of things….perpetual jet lag from my job, just one of those "cold people", and more times than I care to say "you must not be dieting and exercising like you claim."  Talk about ticking off a person.  

Frustration was a constant for me.  I tried every diet trend that came along.  The weight never came off despite truly valiant efforts.



Before finding doTERRA,  I had my first baby.  I had lots of complications that really could be connected with a malfunctioning thyroid.  For one, my baby was small due to IUGR.  It was a small amount found in the placenta but because of her size, we both went through a rough time of testing.  Me, as her mom watching my sweet baby get tested and tested and ultrasounded.  Her….well you take a nice warm, snuggly baby and prick her foot or make her cold and she screams.  I would too!  I also was unable to breastfeed her due to the fact my milk never came in.  I did everything suggested and dried up after 3 1/2 weeks.  My lactation consultant asked me if I was hypothyroid.  

Talk about feeling like an inadequate mother.

After attempting Weight Watchers again, and losing a whole 4 lbs in 8 months and losing so much hair my part was almost an inch wide, my doctor finally said, "Your thyroid isn't working.  You would be what we call a textbook case of Hypothyroid."  

Can you hear the angels sing?  I actually started crying in her office.  I was relieved that someone finally agreed with me.  It was a relief I needed.


So a small dose of Synthroid was started.  I soon got pregnant with #2.  She was a BIG healthy baby who to this day, rarely gets sick.  I could breastfeed her up to 4 months which felt like a huge victory.  My job got more in the way than my body.  

Then I started my lose the baby weight and more diet.  40 lbs came off…..I needed to lose more but I took this as another victory.  Then it stopped.  I needed a dose adjustment.  Frustration rolled in again because doctors are slow to do that.  Bring in baby #3 to the pick and they really don't want to change things even when it is reccommended that increase your dose during pregnancy.  I consulted the Modern Essential book, oils that help and support your thyroid are Clove, Lemongrass, Myrhh.  I had the oils so I started layering Lemongrass and Clove over my thyroid.  It helped.  It was a good pregnancy and I breastfed that hungry boy for over 6 months.  Again, work got in the way, not the body.


During the last pregnancy, I found doTERRA oils.  As I am back in the "lose the baby weight mode", I have noticed many nasty hypothyroid symptoms reappearing. Once again the doctor was reluctant of a dose adjustment.  That  forced me to look at the oils even more as a way to boost and support my thyroid.  My joints hurt, my head hurt, my hair was leaving my scalp so fast I could have made a wig with the hair on the floor.  I can't be a tired, freezing and crabby mother of 3.  Kids don't get that it is hormones.





Protocol 1

 2-4 drops Grounding Blend and Geranium
 2-4 drops Lemongrass and Myrrh
 Alternate the above two combinations weekly.  Apply them directly to the thyroid area, the reflexology points on the feet (great toes), and on the wrists multiple times per day. For ease of application Grounding Blend/Geranium blend and Lemongrass/Myrrh blend can be in roller bottles.
 Some also suggest supplementing with Peppermint and Clove
Protocol 2 (simpler)
 5 parts Lemongrass
 5 parts Clove
 2 parts Frankincense
 Prepare the above blend in a roller bottle and apply topically to thyroid area (and reflexology points on feet) 3 times per day
Protocol 3 (also simpler)
 One person found simply putting 2-3 drops of Frankincense topically on the area 3 times a day reduced the size of the goiter caused by hypothryroidism.
Symptomatic relief 
 Pain - dilute Soothing Blend and apply topically
• Tiredness and depression - Joyful Blend, citrus oils, Peppermint
 Anxiety and irritability - Grounding Blend and Melissa
Consistency of application is important.

I have done a version of Protocol 2. Instead of Frank, I used Peppermint.  I have used drops and drops of Grounding Blend to help with the irritability I feel with feeling lousy as well as the frustration of delayed dosage adjustments.  Soothing Blend has helped with the joint pain.  2 drops of Frankincense under the tongue was suggested to me long before anything else so I have been consistent with that as well.

To be completely honest on here, my dose was increased finally a week ago.  This was after 3 months of complaining to my doctor.  I was testing "normal" again.  I am still using Protocol 2 that I modified with Peppermint to help.  The dose increase has helped my stubborn fat layers to start shedding and helped keep me feeling good enough to exercise.  The oils I feel have helped with the transition of the Synthroid.   I have always found when my hormones are adjusted, I can feel pretty weird for a few weeks.  After just a week, I am feeling pretty darn good.  

I am not always great about the multiple applications of the oils but those who are have given some great testimonials.  Check out this testimonial from EverythingEssential.me:

Cheryol - I am beyond amazed! I have had hypothyroidism and a huge goiter for the past 11 years. I decided to try the Frankincense on my goiter last night. After only 3 applications directly to the thyroid/goiter area, and a few drops under my tongue...the goiter is almost down to nothing! I am so excited. This is something the doctors told me would not go away or shrink. I can't wait to go to my next Doctor's appointment! 

Another big help to my thyroid….well to my overall health is using the Long Life Vitality vitamins.  

I can always tell when I have not done my daily regiment well.  It does make a huge difference.  By giving your body what it needs, you can help it heal.  Eat clean and wholesome foods, avoid the processed junk and soft drinks and you will be amazed at how much can change in your life.

If you are looking to do a Wellness Consult and would like my help, please send me a message.  We can do them in person or over the phone.  It will give you a great plan of attack to take charge of your own health.  Doctors are great but they are busy with lots of patients.  Be sure to look after yourself.  You are the only you in the world!













4 comments:

  1. I too have started using Clove for my thyroid! I know your frustration, my first son was born after IUGR due to my hypothyroidism. I've been dealing with it for 10 years and have literally tapped out on my meds. I am going back in a few weeks to see my results after using oils. Thank you for sharing this! It's nice to know that there are others who have dealt with all the issues that come along with hypothyroidism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use young living oils and am having a hard time I believe with my thyroid. I have been tested and they say it's within normal limits...but I promise if I eat more than a little outside the 1200 calories a day I gain like 5 lbs! In one day! It's crazy! I am going to try to order the clove since I don't have it. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for your honesty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Good luck. I hope the Clove helps. Thyroids are a frustrating little organ let me tell you.

      Delete
  3. Stephanie, I was wondering if you used the roller bottle with the protocol 2 and if you did, did you top it off with coconut oil? I am trying to find figure out what oils to give my mom to start supplementing with her synthroid and wondered if you applied these neat or diluted? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete