Thursday, February 20, 2014

Did Someone Say Pyramid?!

I have now been in the network marketing business for over year which is not something I really thought was for me….ever.  Yes, I had tried a couple other companies and failed miserably to build any sort of business.  With doTERRA, I am succeeding.  It is truly amazing but I know for certain, it is not me….it is the products.  They really will sell themselves.  



Anytime I share the oils or teach a class, the same few comments come up.

"These pyramid schemes are not for me!"

"I am not a salesperson and really do not want to pressure my friends and family to buy stuff from me."

"I have no time or money to do my own business."

So let's start with how you make money with doTERRA.  The compensation plan has many ways to make money.  Fast Start Bonus, Power of 3, Unilevel and of course Retail.  The great thing about this compensation plan from others I have been involved with is that with the Unilevel Commission is structured differently.  As your levels go deeper, you percentages go higher.  Typically, I have seen your first few levels…where you have less people…earn you a larger percentage and your deeper levels…where you have more people, earn you less.  It can really be the difference in of thousands of dollars if you have grown a large organization.

So let's look at the first comment….the stigma of Multilevel Marketing or Network Marketing.  There are many out there that have set up their "pyramids" and then found a product to plug in to make money.  Those companies tend to sell the opportunity more than their product.  doTERRA is focused on the products and not the opportunity.  I encourage and attempt to educate my "oil lovers" (users of the oils) as much as my "oil junkies"(my business builders).   I just want everyone to incorporate the oils in their daily lives so they are healthier.   

But lets look at a typical business model…NOT AN MLM…..there is a pyramid there too.  I work in a standard American business.  I am an employee.  I have a manager who has a manager and so on.  The requirements to move up at my company require very long hours.  I have three kids and a husband I love to spend time with so long hours don't appeal to me at the moment.


Now, I won't say there is anything wrong with these companies.  I simply want to point out that in every business there are always levels of leadership.  In both instances, someone motivated can move up the ranks from Employee to CEO or Consultant to Presidential Diamond.  Network marketing simply gives you more flexibilty because you advance at the speed you want to the rank you want.  A job opening, is never required.  Both "jobs" do require work.  


Comment #2 - "I am no sales person and I won't be pushing my friends and family to join."

My comment back to them is always, "I absolutely do NOT want you to push ANYONE."  Why?  Because it always backfires.  I encourage you to share the oils and offer them a chance to learn about the oils.  Learn about them and then decide.  That is it.  Most people, especially those who care about you, are willing to give you a little bit of time to listen and learn.  

Then I ask them this one question…."Do you ever offer them advice on restaurants or clothing choices or products you use now?"  The usual response is "Of course I do.  If I find something I love and think they may like too, why wouldn't I?"  

Even kids love sharing their doTERRA!

Well, then you have what it takes to share doTERRA!  Use the products and fall in love with them.  You will have a harder time NOT talking about them than talking about them.  Soon you will find yourself saying, "Oh yeah, there is an oil for that!"  Yes, when they ask you where the can get them, it can feel akward that "I sell them." is your answer.  What I have found is that if you truly are listening to their needs, the fact that you share something you sell becomes a bonus.  Hand them a sample, give instructions and tell them you will check on them in a couple days.  More times than not, they call you back first!

And by the way…..most businesses spend milions on marketing their products to you via radio, print and TV.  Think of the millions on just the ads during the Superbowl.  doTERRA chose to engage in MLM where individuals do the marketing and get compensated for doing so.  Does that favorite product of yours that you suggested to your bestfriend give you money for the business you generated for them?  Word of mouth marketing is free but powerful.  Why do you think that is always a selection on a survey?



Comment #3 - "I don't have time or money."



Now, I will not assume everyone's situation is like mine.  I know it isn't.  Many of you are in far better shape and some of you might not be.  Some of you have lots of time on your hands and some don't have a minute's rest.  The question you have to ask yourself is "what do you want now and in the future?"  If your current situation is exactly what you want, then nothing I will say will ever make you want your own business.  If not, what are your options to change it?

For me, I want more time to be with my family and have more say in my schedule.  I want to go to those dance and soccer practices.  I want to go to the class parties.  With my current schedule, I don't really get much of a say.  It adds a lot of stress and guilt to the mommy guilt I already feel.  If you are a dad reading this, I know there is daddy guilt too.

To get started in a doTERRA business you need a couple things. 

Get enrolled as an IPC
          Get as many oils as you can afford
          Get your Loyalty Rewards order set up
Get educated on how to use the oils  

Starting a typical franchise of McDonald's requires a minimum of $750,000.  Yes, it will probably make you millions but do you have that kind of money right now?  I don't.  If you have around $150, you can start your doTERRA business and have options to share the oils and help people.  Quite a bit less, than $750,000 and better for your health!



So yes, I am a network marketer.  Yes, I am making money.  Big money…not yet but slow and steady wins the race right?  doTERRA announced the average earnings for their consultants for the 2013 year.  Check it out!  I have met more than one Blue Diamond level consultant.  They have been nothing but helpful to me.  Their backgrounds have a wide range of experiences and previous careers.  The one constant is they want to help others. 

doTERRA is really about the oils and the wellness of people.  I believe because the focus remains on helping others, the sucesses of many including me will continue.  Serving others is a good thing!

Want to join or learn more about being an IPC? 
Contact me or visit www.mydoterra.com/stephaniebader

1 comment: