Sunday, July 27, 2014

Catching ZZZ's

As I was watching the news a few mornings ago, I was pleasantly surprised to hear an update to some sleep studies.  Conventional wisdom has ingrained in us "get your 8 hours or else."  I don't know about you but getting 8 hours of sleep a night sounds fabulous but not attainable all the time.  I have kids, a job, friends, stuff to do and while I know sleep is important, sometimes it is just really hard to get 8 hours.



Well, this story was a nice change letting us off the hook of 8 hours and that the sweet spot for sleep might actually be 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours of sleep per night.  Even though it is less, I know that for many that still seems like a huge task to accomplish.  

Some of the highlights of the study I thought were interesting said less than 6 hours and your cortisol levels rose causing you to crave foods, store fat and loads of other bad stuff.  Too much sleep on the other hand....more than 8 hours could contribute to diabetes and depression.  The study does emphasize that everyone is different and your perfect amount of sleep might be different than mine.  

There are some options to help you get better sleep.  I still think quality sleep trumps quantity any day.  One of the best combos I love is Cedarwood and Lavender.  


I apply 1-2 drops of each oil per feet at bedtime and sleep it greatly improved.  

This picture was shared with me online.  I found this to be amazing and really great proof that the oils make a huge difference in your sleep.  Her comments are below the picture.  

"This is my fit bit read out if sleep. Top picture is no oils (the little blue lines are times of restlessness, stirring, etc. Bottom picture is with oils (serenity in bath tin and Cedarwood on feet and in diffuser). I'd say oils worked!"


Other great sleeping oils are Vetiver. Frankincense, Clary Sage, and Serenity.  Diffusing these, especially Vetiver and Serenity combined will really help with sleeping.   It fills the whole room and really helps everyone in the room.  



And for anyone who says "I hope you sleep like a baby" I laugh, they must not have been around babies sleeping.  I will wish a happy deep sleep......and your perfect 7 ish hours!



No comments:

Post a Comment