Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Taste of Fall...naturally!



I love Fall!  The leaves changing, the smells and mostly the pumpkin flavored things.  Pumpkin pie...Yum!  Pumpkin beer...Yes please!  So when a big national food chain advertised Pumpkin Spice Lattes I thought...Oh yeah! I really want one!  




Today, I didn't have time for a healthier breakfast option so I ended up there and decided today was the day.  Pumpkin Spice Latte, please and thank you!  I anticipated the first drink would just scream "I LOVE FALL!" but instead all I really tasted was fake pumpkin with an aftertaste of chemicals.  Bummer.  I was seriously disappointed.

About an hour later, I felt awful.  Headache, stomach ache and generally yuck.  Some of it could have been that my breakfast choice in general but the chemical aftertaste would not leave my taste buds.  It got me thinking...

For the past few months, my family has tried to really eat clean.  Natural flavors, whole fruits and veggies, real food.  My husband started the Candida Cleanse and we have just stuck with the diet.  It has been a great, filling choice for us.

Part of the doTERRA Wellness model is to reduce toxic load.  We have not been perfect by any stretch of the imagination but we have been well behaved.  I knew we were feeling better but I didn't think it had really transformed us.  Today, I knew differently. My taste buds definitely knew the difference!



Artificial flavorings are in so many things it is hard to avoid if you are eating anything processed.  For us, the switch to produce section and the spice rack has really helped to keep us away from the artificial flavorings, dyes and sweeteners.

Many people have issues with artificial flavorings, sweeteners and dyes.  This article from SavannahNow.com talks about the science of sweeteners in particular.  

"Aspartame is a combination of aspartic acid, which excites brain cells, methanol, a wood alcohol, and phenylalanine which concentrates in the brain, is dangerous for certain persons and the cumulative effect becomes toxic to the point of being lethal.
Aspartame acts as a neurotransmitter, which causes damage to the neurological system. Evidence shows that damage to more than three quarters of an area’s brain cells can occur before any signs of clinical illness can be detected. "

That last line is pretty scary if you ask me!  
So you want the taste of fall but you want it natural.  What to do?
There are many oils offered by doTERRA that will be great flavor enhancers.  Cinnamon, Cassia, Wild Orange, just to name a few.

Holiday Wassail is delicious!

Need pumpkin?!  doTERRA Pumpkin Smoothie


As for my morning coffee...I am going to stick with 1 drop of Cassia with a honey in my coffee!  The Cassia helps with stomach issues, has a great cinnamon taste without being overpowering.  Honey is just a great natural sweetener.


I didn't know how much my body liked natural until I went back to artificial.  Reduce your toxic load!  Your body will thank you.  




No comments:

Post a Comment