Monday, March 10, 2014

I've Got a New "Secret" - Purify

If you are part of doTERRA's Oil of the Month club, you are getting Purify this month.  Not in the oil of the month club, you should be!  This oil came in my initial kit but I wasn't really sure how to use it.  At that time, I didn't think much of it but I was glad to have it in my oil arsenal.  

Now, it is back on my radar so I decided to look into the many uses of this one little bottle.

My first stop is always my Modern Essentials book and everythingessential.me.  

Everythingessential.me gave me so great ideas including:
  • Diffuse in living areas and office to kill pathogens.
  • Diffuse to strengthen the immune system.
  • Use topically for people who work in or have spent time in hospitals or around people that are ill.
  • Apply topically at the onset of blemishes and cold sores.
  • Prepare a spray and spritz bed sheets 1 hour prior to bedtime to disinfect, protect against and repel dust mites, bed bugs and other insects.
  • Spritz your pet to guard against fleas and mites.
  • Spritz in shoes to deodorize and combat odors.
  • Place drops on a cotton ball and place in car vents to purify the air in the car.
  • Place drops on the intake vent of a home HVAC system and run the fan for 1 hour. Do the same in a hotel room HVAC room filter.
Still it seemed to me that I wasn't going to use this one very much.  I don't work in a hospital, I don't have pets, and since my travelling days have slowed down the exposure to bed bugs in hotels has diminshed.  

Then I found this blog by doTERRA. I love their DIY series.  "Purify will aid in inhibiting bacterial growth and help the body detox"  Dr. Hales.  It made me think but I admit, I quickly dismissed it.
  

For years I have used your standard selection of antiperspirants so the idea of just using a natural deodarant made me think twice.  

But in my quest to really be more natural and less exposed to chemicals I thought I would switch.  My first step was to go another store bought option for deodarant.  

It was nice but I admit, it felt weird to feel wet under my arms even though I didn't smell bad.  

Why would I want to sweat especially under my arms?   Glad you asked.

Sweating is your body's way to detox daily.  About 10% of your daily water loss comes just from sweat, even if you are not exercising.  Sweating helps your skin remove the dirt and other junk which leads to healthier skin.  Finally, sweat helps regulate body temperature.  

Since sweat is mostly water, it is all the other toxic build up that cause the odor.  

Then they announced our Product of the Month - Purify and I was reminded of that DIY article above.

I say this all the time, what you put ON your skin will go into your body….quickly.  So it made sense to see what was in the standard deodorant/antiperspirants.  There are lots of chemicals…which keep you from sweating. 

Aluminum

Aluminum-based compounds are often the active ingredients in antiperspirants. They block the sweat glands to keep sweat from getting to the skin’s surface. Some research has suggested that these compounds may be absorbed by the skin and cause changes in estrogen receptors of breast cells. 
Parabens
Parabens in their many forms are a class of artificial preservatives widely used in cosmetics and personal care products that are being investigated for their possible role in breast cancer. Parabens mimic the activity of estrogen in the body. 
Propylene Glycol
Propylene glycol—a humectant which means it keeps substances from drying out, and it was originally developed as an anti-freeze, but is now included in some deodorants and antiperspirants. It is a neurotoxin known to cause contact dermatitis, kidney damage, and liver damage. 

Your underarm area is filled with lymph nodes which are essential in cleansing the body of toxins.  By putting on something that prevents them from working as designed, you can get a toxic build up and that can result in any number is issues.  


For me, it seemed like the right idea to make the change.  If I didn't like it after a few months, I change back.  No harm no foul.  

After I shower, I apply 1-2 drops per arm pit of Purify then apply my store bought deodarant.  I don't plan on wasting it.  Maybe later I will make my own….we shall see.  The scent of Purify is a strong citrus but has a clean scent.  I wasn't a huge fan when I smelled it in the bottle but I have started to like it as a deodarant.  

Bonus, it helps boost immunity and with it's blend of oils  - Lemon, Lime, Cilantro, Citronella and Melaleuca - helps my body detox gently.  Trying to that "Reduce Toxic Load"  lifestyle going…..






1 comment:

  1. I purchased this one and empty deodorant tubes with ingredients two weeks ago for the etsy shop.. :) too funny you post this! Read my mind!

    ReplyDelete