Friday, April 25, 2014

Life 101 - Manage Stress or Suffer the Consequences

It has been a crazy couple of days around my house…..well I am sure it has but I wasn't here to witness.  I spent those days in the hospital.  This is truly not a post I really want to write but I am sure I am not alone in this little adventure we call life.

Last week it all started.  Well to be perfectly honest, this has all been building for some time now.  My stress level.  On top of my jobs as Mom and doTERRA Wellness Advocate, I also work full time.  Lately, that full time job has had an overwhelming schedule.  

I have missed so many of my kids events, dinners with my family, weekends, good sleep, convsersations with my husband, time with my friends etc etc.  This is nothing new for a typical working family but I have not been handling it well.  

Back to the events leading to the hospital…..I laid down to go to bed after telling my husband I was exhausted.  Major right side body cramp from ear to ankle.  It hurt but I was too tired and not really willing to deal with the issue.  I fell asleep.  Next night…..a slightly lighter repeat only this time I asked my husband for some help.

Then I worked over the weekend…yes on Easter I went to work.  Like I said, crazy schedule.  Finally, Tuesday night my sister came to visit and said I didn't look right and she thought I needed to go to the ER.  My right eye looked droopy or puffy in her opinion.

If you don't know the signs of a stroke…you should!  This is a big one!



So off I go to the ER….extremely scared, with a massive headache and arm weakness.  Not a good combo if you ask me.

The doctors were quite mad at me for waiting so long to get checked out.  If you suspect stroke, you need to be in the ER in less than 4 hours they told me.  Test after test showed I was normal which made the doctors very happy but complicated the diagnosis.  One of the doctors finally said, I think this is a complex migraine.  A term I have never heard.  After, looking into this term I remember the news reporter who everyone thought was having a stroke on live tv. Actually, she was having a complex migraine.  Dr. Oz references her here.  




Luckily, the neurologist thinks this is what I had but just a really intense migraine brought on by stress.  He is suggesting more Physical Therapy than drugs.  I like a doctor who thinks like that, especially if this type of Physical Therapy includes more a massage type thing.  

Now, here is the time where my loyal blog readers will tell me…..you did a blog on stress…don't you listen to your own advice.  To which I humbly say, apparently not very well.  




Although, I have faithfully used my oils to help keep all things in check, I obviously was not doing the other things to relieve stress….good exercise, good diet and good sleep.  My Fitbit does not lie!  Also, a balancing of my thyroid is very much in needed so hopefully my doctor will help me a bit more in this area.

Some things I have learned from this little thing….

1.  The drugs in the hospital helped relieve the pain but at a price of intense sweating and extreme drowsiness.  It is no way to live.  I prefer my oil recipes over their choices any day.




2.  My own bed and pillows are the best thing on the planet!

3.  I am not a superhero who can do it all.  I am human and I have to call "Uncle" before I break.  AND not feel guilty afterwards.  More Cassia for the courage to say no.  More Bergamot to keep guilt out of the picture.  And a whole lotta Balance!!! 


Keep in mind there are many options and everyone will react differently to the oils.  If you are in need of some Mood Management there are great blends….Elevation and Serenity will become more prominent in my life as well.




Here is to a happier, more balanced life!  




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better! So scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping it was only a complex migraine. Very glad you shared the FAST evaluation. In deed if you have these symptoms do not delay getting medical help. It might mean the difference between being able have function or being trapped in a crippled body.

    ReplyDelete